Monday, March 11, 2013

47 Days to the New You!


Hey everybody! -It's Trisha Lee here and I thought I might try to do something special with the world wide web. I'm going to take you along on my latest diet/fitness journey. It’s time for a “lean-out” cycle. I normally go through cycles with my diet and fitness regimen. (My concentration and ability to stay “clean” and SUPER focused can only last for about 6-8 weeks at a time. During the time when I’m not “Super-focused,” I am basically relaxed and just maintaining.) Get ready for a LONG first post.
On this current cycle, I’m trying to get the best results I can in 47 days. Weird number. Who cares. It’s on like Donkey Kong! My hope is that by journaling through these next 6 weeks and 7 days, you will see how I go from “Ordinary and OK” to “Fit and Fabulous”! I hope to inspire you all to see how easy, difficult, challenging, fun and rewarding a 47 day challenge can be. My hope is also to be as transparent as possible, giving you encouragement, food tips, exercise tips and motivation to start this 47 day challenge with me.

Let’s get started! This is how I roll: I need to get a starting point. There are so many ways to measure progress. I usually use Body Fat %, Weight, & Measurements. If you know someone who can take your %Body Fat-you should ask them to do it. If you don’t, you should ask me to do it! I would be happy to help! The two easiest methods are by using bioelectrical impedance or skinfold calipers.    
Get a sticky note and write this down and then fill in the blanks.

After you fill in all the blanks-take that sticky note and stick it to the underside of your keyboard! (Or a nice safe place that only YOU know where it is!) Next, I take one day at a time. The very first day is probably the hardest and most exciting. Usually, I’m trying to decide if I’m really going to throw down, if I really want this. Once I’ve fully committed in my mind. IT IS ON! No backing out. No CHEATING! (There will be a planned day or two or three for that in the future.) No compromising. Be true to this one thing and it will empower you for so much more. Resist temptations to eat things you aren’t supposed to or to not exercise. Those days will come…turn your back on “the yuck” and find support. Even if it is just leaving the kitchen!

Preparations: First thing is first - Get a food tool. No, Not a fork…a tool to help track your diet! I LOVE  the app “Lose it!” It’s free. Awesome. It’s Easy. Awesome. It does all the math for you. DOUBLE AWESOME. It can be on your smart phone and/or on your computer. Awesome.  It also allows you to take a snap shot of daily meals –so that I way I can show it to you and give you a very clear, detailed picture of what I eat! (And keep me accountable.) You could also use an app like “My Fitness Pal” or even use a journal. The important thing is to keep a VERY detailed record of what you are eating. Using measuring cups, spoons, scales, etc. will also be helpful in getting the best results. Sometimes when we “wing it” it gives us bigger “wings” than we would care to share in a sleeveless top!

DISCLAIMER: This is my journey. This is inspiration for your journey. This is not a medically supervised diet plan. Please consult your physician before starting any diet program. I try my best, through research and trial to consume foods that I feel would be nourishing, filling, high in fiber, LOW in carbohydrates, and allow me to feed my muscles and sustain my body ALL while stripping fat! It is not extreme. I don’t feel HUNGRY all the time. (I do feel hungry though, when it’s time to eat.) Important note there…It’s ok to be hungry; so many of us are accustomed to never feeling hunger pangs. We’ve trained our body to eat even when we aren’t hungry.

Let’s go to the store(s). I go to Sam’s and ALDI’S and Walmart and Dillons and Target….I love to grocery shop. Basically anything that involves “shopping” I love! However, 90% of what I buy comes from Sam’s and ALDI’S. This is my journey. I have to be able to afford to feed myself and my family. Do I buy organic? Some things I do. Do I wish I could all the time? Yes. But like I said….I’m keeping it real here. In the beginning of this said journey, I like to keep my diet very simple, tasty and repeatable. I don’t mind eating the same things a lot. It makes it easy and quick. So, the main staples in my diet during this time are as follows:

SAMS:
-Organic Spring Mix ($5.Gigantic box of spring mix. You could eat six cups of that and it’s only 30 calories)
-Rotisserie Chicken ($5)
-Fit Frappe (Coffee Protein Drink mix.)
-Emerald’s Cocoa Roasted Almonds ($12. My family LOVES these. You can buy smaller quantities elsewhere, but we have proven it more cost effective to just buy the large container at SAMS.)
-Atkins Peanut Fudge Granola Bars ($15. Tastes like a Butterfinger. I eat these for breakfast on days I have  to leave the house early. Once again…smaller quantities are available at your local grocer.)
-EAS Advantage Shake ( I get the chocolate. Smaller quantities are available at other stores. I advise to purchase those first until you find your favorite flavor.)
-Mesquite Grilled Frozen Boneless, skinless Chicken fillets (in a bag)
Just a few of the items on the list...

ALDI’S
-BACON. Nuff said.
-Eggs. (I buy lots. Some to hard boil and some to cook for breakfast. An egg white is only 25 calories with nearly 6 grams of protein! Super tasty in my scrumptious salads)
-Light Balsamic Vinaigrette (I sometimes make my own dressings from lemons and olive oil, but currently I’m totally digging this dressing. I only use 2 TBSP though!)
-Frozen “fancy” green beans. Because I’m fancy.
-Frozen Broccoli (steamable) or you could buy fresh—very affordable!
-Spicy Guacamole. (You could buy avocados and make guac- I’ve done that. A lot. But I really like the flavor, convenience, and spiciness!)
-Dill Pickle Spears. Crunchy, yummy, cold, sour, 0 calories….what’s that? ZERO!!!!
-Fresh Garlic (3 pack is usually a buck or less. I usually mince it and throw it in when I roast my veggies!)
-Fresh Lemons (19 Cents/lemon. Totally worth it! Lemons allow you to add so much flavor, to veggies, meat, etc.  without adding calories.)

Are you with me still? I know, changing the way you do things can be difficult. You can do it! You are worth it. Here is what Day #1 looks like. Total calories for the day 1163. It’s a little low. I’m shooting for 1250 calories/day. I don’t ever recommend people go under 1200/day. As I look back, there are several things I would change. First of all. BREAKFAST. I was out of my bars. I work on Monday mornings and I just didn’t have time to make an egg. (I did go to the store after work and get the Atkins bars though, so I’m set for tomorrow!) My exercise for the day consisted of 2 (55 Minute) ZUMBA classes. Do you need to do 2? Nope! It’s my job on Monday’s though. So kudos to me for getting extra cardio!

Name
Type
Quantity
Units
Calories
Cream, Half & Half, Traditional
Breakfast
2
Tablespoons
40
*Salad With Chicken, Greens
Lunch
1
Serving
235
Egg Whites, Large, Ckd
Lunch
2
Each
50
*Salad With Chicken, Greens
Dinner
1.5
Servings
353
Egg Whites, Large, Ckd
Dinner
1
Each
25
Almonds, Coco Roast
Snacks
1
Ounce
150
Pickle- Dill spear
Snacks
1
Serving
0
Medium Iced Coffee
Snacks
1
Serving
120
Peanut Butter, Natural, Creamy
Snacks
2
Tablespoons
190

*Anytime it says salad, I have computed all my ingredients together. Spring mix, sliced fresh onion, two mushrooms, 2 TBSP of salad dressing.

Biggest tip of the day: Measure and record.  BEST THING ABOUT DAY#1??? IT’S OVER! Yay! Stay tuned for day #2. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment